Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Halloween, y'all!!

Sharing the holidays with family is the best.  For my family, Halloween kicks off the holiday season as we have Joel's birthday on November 10th, Thanksgiving, my birthday on December 16th, Christmas and then New Years!  Lancaster, South Carolina's art community is alive with all the wonderful festivities.  Not only will we be offering workshops that will take us into the Christmas season, we will be kicking off the new year with the Artisans Center Gala.



Above are my beautiful children, Erin and Joel.  Erin is a witch wearing a vintage black evening dress.  Joel is Mr. Incredible - the hero from his favorite Pixar movie.

The Halloween Art Draw on Friday October 30th was successful!  Not only were there many of my wonderful friends and family members in costume, a good time was had by all.

I am pleased to say that there were lots of handmade costumes this year rather than store bought ones.  I admit, I had to purchase Mr. Incredible for Joel... but how can you say no to a boy that can't trick-or-treat because of food allergies???



My husband Michael and I were dressed in our Halloween bests as our favorite cartoon characters, Lucy Van Pelt and Charlie Brown.  I made both of the costumes, but honestly threw Michael's together on Friday afternoon.  I was also in a costume making frenzy because I made a friend's Dorothy costume as well.  Here we are pictured above.  Michael is without the sheet that he was wearing for most of the night.  It was cute, but got a little hot as the night went on and made it difficult to talk to people, eat and drink.

Also worth noting, each costume that placed in the costume contests throughout the night were handmade.  Since I have been a part of Etsy, I believe in the handmade movement.  I would like to challenge my readers to create handmade gifts for the holiday season because handmade gifts are more thoughtful.

2 comments:

  1. Cute costumes, Heather! Your daughter's dress is absolutely stunning! Seems like you had a lovely Halloween. Thanks for sharing the photos. :) Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did have a blast! Erin was completely divine in that beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete